January 30, 2015

The Last Ones



“Charlie, I’m worried for the boys.”

He crossed his arms again, scowling up at the sky which was rumbling with the taste of distant storms.

“What’s new?”

“No, I’m serious. They’re so far from home, and we don’t even know if they can make the Book work! I can’t-I can’t see them hurt like that.”

“They don’t believe in us yet, sweetheart. You can’t get hurt by something unless you believe in it.”

“Nate believes in this.”

“Yeah, sure he does. Nate believes in a lot of things, himself first of all.” 

Charlie was muttering now, trying to keep calm. He hated himself. He hated this lack of control that made his heart rock like the sea-water was drenching his blood. 

“He hasn’t had anything else to believe in! Maybe if you gave him a reason to trust you-“ 

“Me? He can’t trust me! He hates me, and I don’t blame him. But after all, you must know what it’s like.”

“What it’s like?”

“To hate me.”

By now they were standing so close together he could see the fibers in her blue eyes. He could feel her breath surging through her body. He could hear her heart beating.

His last shout broke like a thunderclap across her face, and he had to turn away.

He couldn’t bear this. 

He couldn’t bear her.

The real thunder sounded in the sky as the clouds slowly slid over the sun. When he looked back, she was standing still. And as long as he lived, he would remember the sight of her. The sight of the pain on her face.

What have I done to you? 

Her words echoed in his head.

I don’t remember.

A choke in her thoughts.

Neither do I.

She walked slowly to his side, gentle and real. Cold, though. Cold as ice. She watched his jaw twitch, and the first raindrop slide down his face.

They fell.

All at once.

They soaked the earth, and the dry spirits that held out their hats to catch every last drop. 

What have I done to you?

His grief and his dizziness overcame him, and he shook his dripping head. 

They walked slowly to the boat without a word.

But they felt everything.



xoxo


p.s. i was thinking about posting some chapters from my book! enjoy this snippet. ♥




16 comments:

  1. I love this book. Working my way through it still, don't you worry. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cries with thankfulness*

      I love youuu.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I can't ever explain how much I love this<3 Beautiful. Oh, I added you to my links page, hope you don't mind.
    -Bethany! http://bethanysbrightlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much!! <3

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh. YAASSS, this made me tip over. Please post more!!!! <3 <3 <3

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Thanks, love! I will be sure to post some more. :-D

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. You write so... amazingly that it just hits me. It makes me feel something even if it's just one word. How do you do it? *sighs*

    Also, I love this so so so soooo much. I still kept the Jet and Charlie snippet you sent me. Aghhh. *flails and cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jet and Charlie are my boyssss. <3

      And your encouragement keeps the feeling in these old words.

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This is amazing! I enjoyed reading every word. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Adelaide, your writing never ceases to amaze me! This is just so lovely! LOVE, and please post more <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you so much Lauren!! I certainly will. <3

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. AH! I-I think may tip over with too much awesomeness. I truly, LOVE THIS. Please, share more.

    ReplyDelete

be kind.

xx